Guerrilla Gardening, Site 1

Since I haven't used the compost pile for much after we got the ducks, I decided to move the fencing and utilize it around the garden to keep the dog out of there instead.  This new open area was free range for foraging ducks, so I had to do something with the two avocado saplings, or loose them to potential nibbling.

Consultation with the fiance confirmed that while we would *like* to have more avocado trees, our property just isn't big enough for more.  What we really want is a variety of trees, like mangoes, limes, oranges, almonds... you get the idea.

So I did something I've been thinking about doing since the idea of HUGS first came to me: I went out into the world and planted them where I thought they might be useful. Go go gadget: guerrilla gardening!

Site 1 "Before" 2.27.18
Site 1 "After" 2.27.18
Just around the corner from my house is an informational sign near the canal explaining what the city does to retard erosion along the waterways.  I thought this would be a good first spot because it gets foot traffic so the fruit is likely to get eaten, it's near water so a mature tree can have unlimited access through it's taproot, and it's not located over a culvert or underground line system of any kind so it won't cause damage to infrastructure.  Also with this site being so close, I can scoop up some duck water in my giant cheez-ball container and go walk the dog to check on their care and progress.

It felt a little weird, I'm not gonna lie.  I don't even know if this is legal to do, but it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. I definitely want a special shirt that advertises I'm leaving plants, not stealing plants. 

Picking up trash around the area when I was done was definitely the clincher in my karma - expect more random acts of planetary kindness in the near future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year Resolutions 2018